The Yellow Tower of the Abbey of St. Mary

The Yellow Tower of the Abbey of St. Mary
Trim, Ireland

Monday, June 9, 2008

The Right Thing Was Done.

Alyssa and I got to watching the Spike Lee joint "Do the Right Thing" on Saturday night. I thoroughly enjoyed the flick, she had seen it before and didn't like it. I think her ideal movie involves sunshine, rainbows and a happy ending, but I'm hoping to convert her to more pics that require you to think.
I found it interesting that as a person generally shown to be at least somewhat radically inclined towards his race, Spike Lee did a very good job portraying racial tension in this country without bias. Or at the very least didn't try to justify the actions of the black people in his film. Also interesting that someone shown to be a peacemaker early in the film ultimately has a breaking point just like everyone else and evolves into a fire starter (figuratively and literally).
Ultimately I found the film to have two morals; one, the racial situation in this country has got to be changed for the better and two, don't hang out in a poor New York neighborhood on an incredibly hot day, because people can have short tempers.

No comments: