The Yellow Tower of the Abbey of St. Mary

The Yellow Tower of the Abbey of St. Mary
Trim, Ireland

Monday, April 26, 2010

Can I Get A Witness?

Had today off from work due to stitches being removed from my head. Since I had a weekday off Alyssa thought it would be a good idea to apply for (and get) our marriage license. While waiting in line at the CoCo County office, a young couple in front of us was informed that they needed a witness in order to get married today. No one had come with them because the oh-so-helpful county worker they had talked to on the phone told them a witness would be supplied for them. Sooooo, in exasperation the groom to be turned around and making eye contact with me asked "you wanna be our witness?" I was quick to voice my assent.

The officiant came out in her robes, took us into the ceremony room and performed a two minute wedding ceremony which both Alyssa and I were thrilled to be a part of. We signed off on their license and were on our way!

It was so affirming to see another couple get married in such an intimate, personal way. It may seem less romantic to some, but to me it was an incredible experience.

1 comment:

bryn said...

i'm totally crying right now. it doesn't matter where or when the vows are exchanged, or even who is exchanging them ... it's always the most romantic moment in the whole wide world <3 great post, nalattam!